Sunday, December 30, 2012

No Resolutions...just Resolute!

“For last year's words belong to last year's language. And next year's words await another voice.” - T.S. Eliot

Well it happens every year doesn't it? We get through Christmas, and we either feel we spent too much, or not enough because we didn't have it.

As you look back, maybe things have not been going as they should in your life, and you know exactly why. Changing things is hard, but what's funny is, you know exactly what to do to fix it.

And moreover, another year has gone by, and you still haven't moved closer to what God made you for.

You KNOW He has a purpose for your life, for the talents he has given you, but still, it hasn't happened yet. There's been a reluctance to move, a fear that it's not the right time, or that you don't have the money to do anything on a large scale.

So, we make resolutions for the New Year.

"This is the year", you say. "I'm going to do it."

But guess what? It's back to work in a few days. And the grind starts again. And the dreams get returned to the back burner on low.

It's a cycle we all repeat. So, how do we fight it?

Well, this year, I have a new saying. "No resolutions...just Resolute!"

"The truest wisdom is a resolute determination." - Napoleon Bonaparte

I'm not making promises I can't keep. I'm not going to make exclamations of what I am going to do and then sluff off and go back to my old ways.

This year, I am resolute to make some changes in my routines, my spending habits, my work, my processes, and, finally, my own art. (Yes Virginia, Eric does his own creative passions too besides producing artists and songwriters all day! ;)

I'm just going to keep my vision focused and straight ahead. I'm going to 'boldly go where this man has never gone before'.

Seriously, I think we have to be resolute that we are going to finally follow God and what He has for us to do. No more dreaming or wondering.

And the funny thing is, it was through some mistakes and a bit of wandering through the desert that brought me here. But I have emerged focused, energized, and especially, resolute in my mission, my goals, and my purpose.

I want to help creative folks more than I ever have with our new staff and better organization.

I want to make sure I have the right heart and mind for leading artists, and even taking what I do for folks to a whole new level with The New Deal we are working on for artists.

I want to pay attention to my own creative side, not just in other folks' projects. Ideas, new directions, and vistas that motivate me, and feed my artistic soul.

So, how can YOU get energized and resolute this year? You need help. You know it and I know it.

It could be that where you are, either you are alone with really no one to talk to about creative stuff, or YOU are the one folks come to, but you want to grow yourself.

I've been in both of those shoes. It finally took coming here to Nashville, where folks live, talk, and breathe music and taking things to another level. Surprise! All my goals and dreams were realized over those first few years. (Then I had to find new ones! ;)

The first thing it takes is asking for help. Find someone who will listen, give you solid advice, and then HEED that advice.

The common denominator of artistic success that I have seen in the past 25 years of doing this is consistent commitment to your craft. No matter what, the ones who win (in anything really) don't take no for an answer, they never quit, and they are unceasing in their quest to be the best they can be for the Lord.

“I believe life is constantly testing us for our level of commitment, and life's greatest rewards are reserved for those who demonstrate a never-ending commitment to act until they achieve. This level of resolve can move mountains, but it must be constant and consistent. As simplistic as this may sound, it is still the common denominator separating those who live their dreams from those who live in regret.” - Anthony Robbins

Above all, be resolute. Do not let obstacles continue to keep you out of God's service. Make a commitment to yourself, and then resolutely follow that every day.

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune". - Francis Quarles

Have a great year!

EC
--
Eric Copeland is resolute that this year will be Creative Soul's greatest year helping Christian artists and songwriters, and that he will remain creative and focused in his own passions too. We're all in this together folks. For more info check out http://www.CreativeSoulOnline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Questions? Completely Disagree? Let Us Hear Your Thoughts on This!

About the Author

My Photo
Eric Copeland is an author, producer, keyboardist, songwriter, and president of Creative Soul Companies. What is Creative Soul? Our main goals are to inform, encourage, and assist Christian creative folks in ministry, no matter where they are in their journey. Thanks for reading! Find out more about us at http://www.CreativeSoulOnline.com